This week, Jim Perkins had the honor of presenting the Arapahoe Sertoman's of the year: Bob and Jan Burnside lost their daughter to suicide. There were no warning signs and came as a shock to Bob and Jan. They are Co-directors of SPIN ( Suicide Prevention Intervention Network). One of the things they do is train people on the warning signs of suicide: Bob and Jan can be contacted at:
The warning signs are:
1. Giving away favorite possessions.
2. A change in behavior.
3. Previous suicide attempts and statements revealing a desire to die.
4. Depression (crying, insomnia, inability to think or function).
5. Purchase of a gun or pills.
6. Alcohol or drug abuse.
7. Sudden happiness after a long depression.
8. Obsession about death and talk about suicide.
9. Decline in performance of work, school or other activities.
IF IN CRISIS CALL 1-800-SUICIDE (1-800-784-2433) or 911