Sean Hannity's call screener recently hung up on me when I had the nerve to call the show and mention GOOOH. It was the first time I had ever phoned, but she said, "We are tired of hearing about GOOOH. Do not call again! You are not doing yourself any favors." They obviously aren’t interested in what their listeners have to say. A member of a "liberty" group recently had his internet radio show cancelled for scheduling an interview to discuss GOOOH. At least five members of one group have been kicked out of a forum for talking about our plan. A lady emailed and said we must stop our members from offering a prayer before any GOOOH meeting. We continue to be ignored by prime time television. What are these people afraid of? What has become of our nation?
Despite such treatment, I can make the following promises. We will never attempt to filter information. We will never badmouth or attack other groups. We will continue to encourage each of our members to support the non-incumbent of their choice, including those running for the House in 2010, until we reach our membership goal. At that point, we'll ask the candidates and our members to decide which path they wish to pursue. We will not attempt to tell you how to vote on specific issues, trusting you to choose your district’s representative. Term Limits is the only item on which we take a position, and only because we have seen what happens when politicians are given power. Our plan will enable the rotation of Representatives. Most importantly, we will not go away. We will continue working, scrapping each day until we reach our membership goal, however long that takes. As long as we do not quit, we will win. And we will not quit. With the spirit of our Founding Fathers driving our actions, we will succeed!
Imagine what it must have been like on that snowy Christmas night in 1776. Against overwhelming odds, George Washington and 2,000 brave and patriotic heroes, many without shoes, boldly crossed the Delaware River to take on the most powerful military force in the world. Consider how many gave their lives so that we might have the freedom with which we have been blessed. Consider the sacrifices they made to create the greatest nation the world has ever known. I will continue to push forward in honor of those 2,000 men and all who have served, and for all who will follow.
But can our nation retain its lofty status? How much more of our children’s money will we spend? In 2009, 47% of our citizens did not pay income taxes, according to the non-partisan Tax Policy Center . FORTY-SEVEN PERCENT! We have over $100 trillion in future obligations, an almost incomprehensible number. Ask your friends to look at this picture of one trillion dollars and perhaps they will better appreciate the magnitude of the problem.
Now is the time to act. If we do not reach our membership goal by June 30th, nothing will change. Regardless of which party wins in November, the deficit will climb higher, thirty percent of our kids will again fail to graduate from high school, tax inequities will persist, politicians will prosper, and our nation will deteriorate.
Neither party has a solution—they simply seek power to advance their agenda. Neither party comprehends fiscal responsibility. If the Republicans take control they will simply blame a vetoing President for their lack of accomplishment. If the Democrats retain the House they will use their simple majority to push through whatever legislation they like. Both parties will legislate without regard to the Constitution. Either way we lose and our children and grandchildren will be saddled with an even bigger mess. Can we afford to allow either party to retain power? We have seen how both operate: more spending, more government. It is dishonorable to pass this burden to our heirs.
We must reign in this out-of-control government. I know many of you are working diligently to recruit new members. Can you do more? If each of you will continue doing what you can, the increasing numbers will soon tip the scales our way. Here are a few suggestions:
1) Follow the Tupperware model. Host a mock selection session in your home. Invite your friends and make it your goal to find two others who will agree to host an event. The material is available at this link . It is a truly fun exercise. Watch the two minute tutorial for instructions.
2) Write a letter to the editor and send a draft to email@example.com with “Letters” in the subject line. We’ll send you a list of editors to email.
3) Call or email your favorite radio hosts. Send a note to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Radio” in the subject line and we’ll send you a list of hosts to email. Or look up your favorite host here .
4) Find ten others and ask if you can create a GOOOH account for them. Email your friends, go door to door in your neighborhood or desk to desk in your office, and ask for their email addresses and permission to set up an account. It is time to step even further out of your comfort zone if we are to get to 500,000 members this year. For those who give you their email address, go to the Join page , create an account with their email address, create a forum name (e.g. Name33), and then send them an email with their password (use something simple like aaaa9999). Be aggressive!
5) Print and post or hand out a copy of this file or one you create yourself. Leave copies on bulletin boards, on chairs in the airport, in restaurant waiting areas (with permission), under windshield wipers, in doctor’s offices, or anywhere else you can imagine. I cannot begin to tell you how many people have said they first heard about GOOOH after happening upon a brochure or flyer someone left behind.
6) Recruit creatively. Call your friends, don't just email them. Ask if you can sign them up.
7) If you are willing to get more involved, please contact your state leader, email@example.com, or firstname.lastname@example.org. We need leaders in several districts, and members who are willing to assist their district leader. Our next newsletter will elaborate, but let us know if you are willing to help lead the charge in your district.
Time is running short, the media is ignoring us, but persistence will bring success.
Let me end with this note from the opening of Thomas Paine’s, The Crisis, written over 200 years ago:
THESE are the times that try men’s souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated.
We have it within our grasp to retake control of OUR government. Let’s make it happen before it is too late.